Point Clouds – Scan of Real Objects
On a typical project, multiple scans need to be taken from different points to ensure a complete data set. To join multiple scans together, a control network needs to be established. This is done by using either targets in the scans, known survey points or by allowing enough overlap in the scans to register by recognising common features (cloud to cloud).
The point cloud that represents geometry of scanned objects can be delivered in any global, or local coordinate system, depending on the client’s needs. There is no problem in rotating the coordinate system in accordance with the client’s requirements, even if such a need arises later.
The point cloud can be directly used for routing newly designed installation and for clash detection, but more often it is used as raw data for creation of corresponding accurate 3D CAD models, 2D drawings and other final products such as CapView images.
- Huge amount of 3D data.
- Much shorter measurement time.
- Non-invasive (non-touch) measurement, providing increased safety around measured objects.
- All data is 100% digital.
- Easy use of data (it can be saved in a text file – multi-purpose).
- Convenient visual presentation of data.
- More manageability of various limitations (e.g. scaffolding) thanks to distant measurements.
Learn more about Point Clouds.
Also see Apply Capnor’s solutions for 3D Laser Scanning.